Japan Ski Touring 2022
Types: Expeditions, International, Ski and Snowboarding, Touring
You’ve seen it in the movies, in friends FB videos and photos: Japan’s legendary cold smoke powder! Home to the finest steep and deep powder skiing in the world all wrapped up in a truly unique cultural experience. So grab the fattest touring skis or the widest split board you can find and join us for an Epic Japow Ski Safari!
Next Departure:Leaving Jan 20 2022 from $3,599.00
Japan Ski Touring 2022
For our 2022 Japan Ski Touring trip we’re headed into the Japanese Alps around the lesser known area of Tenjin for a week then over to Hokkaido for some more amazing powder and natural hot springs.
For week 1 & 2 we’ll be based out of the small town Minakami, found a few hours north of Tokyo by train. From there we’ll make forays into the local mountains using the various ski lifts to gain access to some amazing backcountry ski runs through picturesque Japanese forests. We’ll also use the lifts to jump start some higher elevation ski touring and ski mountaineering.
For week 3 we’ll hit the powder highway on the island of Hokkaido for some amazing skiing and beautiful, natural onsen pools. With stops at various locations including Asahidake, Tokachidake and Feranodake you’ll get a well rounded look at what the less-touristy areas have to offer.
Sign up for either week depending on your preference – a bit steeper or a bit deeper. Or better yet, join us for both! But be warned, the area gets a massive amount of snowfall. In the event that the lifts at a local hill are closed due to weather or avalanche hazard (yes, that does happen!) don’t worry we’ll throw on the old skins and head on up for some tree skiing in the deep pow.
It snows pretty much every day here, day after day! And this daily accumulation of snow is deeper than what many popular ski areas see in a week. But what’s really amazing is the quality, we’re talking cold blower pow! So if you love undulating terrain, widely spaced deciduous trees, beautiful landscapes and consistent snowfall day-in and day-out then this is the trip for you.
Now half the fun of a Japan ski touring holiday is checking out the local culture and of course the local food. Japanese apres ski culture always involves a long soak in an Onsen, a traditional natural hot spring, to ease tired muscles. That is followed by an amazing meal. Sushi, ramen, okonomiyaki, takoyaki, omo-rice and more might not mean much to you now, but they’ll soon become favorites!
Of course no foreign vacation is complete without sampling some of the local beer and spirits! Not to worry, Japan’s famous for its amazing Scotch and Sake, but of course it also has a booming craft brewery scene that begs to be sampled as well. It doesn’t matter if you’re a Foodie, fine beverage connoisseur or an avid skier just looking for some filling food at the end of a big day you will be more than happy with the local offerings.
Jan 20 to 26 2022
Jan 26 2022 to Feb 2 2022
Feb 2 to 9 2022
- A $1000 deposit is required to secure a booking.
- The final payment due 90 days prior to the trip.
- Trips subject to 5% GST.
- Room upgrades are subject to an additional fee.
- Prices are based on double occupancy.
- We highly recommend Travel & Medical insurance.
- Be sure to look over our Booking Policies.
- Participants will be required to sign a Waiver.
Week 1 Tenjin:
- January 22: Meeting in Tokyo & travel to Minakami
- January 23 – 27: Ski the resorts & mountains around Minakami
- January 28: Ski a half day in the am before traveling back to Tokyo
- January 29: Departure Day, Party’s over
Week 2 Tenjin:
- January 29: Meeting in Tokyo & travel to Minakami
- January 30 – February 3: Ski the resorts & mountains around Minakami
- February 5: Ski a half day in the am before traveling back to Tokyo
- February 6: Departure Day, Party’s over – or bump over to Hokkaido for week 3!!
Notes on Tenjin:
You will want to plan to arrive at Tokyo, Narita International airport on January 16th in the evening or the morning of the 17th. Most international flights from North America arrive in the late afternoon while European flights can arrive in the am. We’ll meet at 5pm and then travel to our hotel in Tokyo for the evening if you come on the 16th otherwise we will meet up the next morning. First thing in the morning we will take the trains to Minakami. Of course you can always just meet up with the crew in Minakami if you prefer. From there we check into our hotel and get ready to ski!
The train travel from Narita International to Minakami is as follows:
- Tokyo to TAKASAKI: SHINKANSEN MaxTANIGAWA (Bullet Train).
- TAKASAKI to Minakami: JR Joetsu Line (Regular Train)
Full train schedule can be found at: http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
The Itinerary, Week 3 – Hokkaido:
- February 6: Arrive at the New Chitose Airport and drive to Asahidake
- February 7 & 8: Ski the amazing volcano at Asahidake ropeway
- February 9 & 10: Ski Furano Ski Hill & tour around Hakugino & Furanodake
- February 11: Ski a half day in the am before traveling back to Sapporo
- February 12: Departure Day
You’ll want to arrive at the New Chitose Airport on February 5th & spend a night at the airport hotel if you’re arriving late from North America. After a big day of travel the airport onsen and beds will be just what the doctor ordered. Not as big of a deal if you come on a shorter flight from the EU. Either way, we’ll meet you at 10am at the hotel and start driving to our hotel in Asahikawa to get the party started.