Japan Ski Touring 2023
Types: Expeditions, International, Ski and Snowboarding, Touring
You’ve seen it in the movies, in friends FB videos and photos: Japan’s legendary cold smoke powder!
Japan Ski Touring 2023
Our 2023 Japan Ski Touring trips include a foray into the Japanese Alps around the lesser known area of Tenjin as well as a trip to Hokkaido for some more amazing powder and natural hot springs and another to Rishiri Island for something a little different. After taking a break for a year due to Covid we're excited to get back to this amazing powder skiing playground. Be sure to let us know if you'd like to join one of the weeks.
Hokkaido Trips: We’ll hit the powder highway on the island of Hokkaido for some amazing skiing and beautiful, natural onsen pools. With stops at various locations including Asahidake, Tokachidake and Feranodake you’ll get a well rounded look at what the less-touristy areas have to offer.
Tenjin Trips: Home based will be the small town Minakami, found a few hours north of Tokyo by train. From there we’ll make forays into the local mountains using the various ski lifts to gain access to some amazing backcountry ski runs through picturesque Japanese forests. We’ll also use the lifts to jump start some higher elevation ski touring and ski mountaineering.
Rishiri Island Trip: Found 20 km off the northern tip of Hokkaido, Rishiri is one of the most unique but unknown skiing destinations in Japan. Rising directly out of the Sea of Japan, the 1721m Mt Rishiri is a dormant volcano that creates the island itself. With a circumference of around 60 km, the cone-shaped mountain has been eroded over time to create many different ridges and valleys that provide seemingly endless options for skiing.
Sign up for any week depending on your preference – a bit steeper (Tenjin), a bit deeper (Hokkaido) or a bit more off the beaten path (Rishiri). Or better yet, join us for couple of weeks! But be warned, these areas get a massive amount of snowfall.
Now half the fun of a Japan ski touring holiday is checking out the local culture and of course the local food. Japanese apres ski culture always involves a long soak in an Onsen, a traditional natural hot spring, to ease tired muscles. That is followed by an amazing meal. Sushi, ramen, okonomiyaki, takoyaki, omo-rice and more might not mean much to you now, but they’ll soon become favorites!
Of course no foreign vacation is complete without sampling some of the local beer and spirits! Not to worry, Japan’s famous for its amazing Scotch and Sake, but of course it also has a booming craft brewery scene that begs to be sampled as well. It doesn’t matter if you’re a Foodie, fine beverage connoisseur or an avid skier just looking for some filling food at the end of a big day you will be more than happy with the local offerings.
Custom Dates Available
Schedule for 2023:
- January 21 to 28: Rishiri Island ($4,199)
- January 22 to 28: Hokkaido ($3,999)
- January 29 to February 4: Tenjin ($3,999)
- A $1000 deposit is required to secure a booking.
- The final payment due 90 days prior to the trip.
- Trips subject to 5% GST.
- Room upgrades are subject to an additional fee.
- Prices are based on double occupancy.
- We highly recommend Travel & Medical insurance.
- Be sure to look over our Booking Policies.
- Participants will be required to sign a Waiver.
- Day 1: Arrive at the New Chitose Airport and drive to Asahidake
- Day 2 & 3: Ski the amazing volcano at Asahidake ropeway
- Day 4 & 5: Ski Furano Ski Hill & tour around Hakugino & Furanodake
- Day 6: Ski a half day in the am before traveling back to Sapporo
- Day 7: Departure Day, Party’s over – or bump over to Tenjin and join us there!
You’ll want to arrive at the New Chitose Airport on a day early and spend a night at the airport hotel if you’re arriving late from North America. After a big day of travel the airport onsen and beds will be just what the doctor ordered. Not as big of a deal if you come on a shorter flight from the EU. Either way, we’ll meet you at 10am at the airport hotel and start driving to Asahidake to get the party started.
- Day 1: Meeting in Tokyo & Travel to Minakami
- Day 2-5: February 3: Ski the resorts & mountains around Minakami
- Day 6: Ski a half day in the am before traveling back to Tokyo
- Day 7: Departure Day, Party’s over it’s time to head home
Notes on Tenjin:
Most international flights from North America arrive in the late afternoon while European flights can arrive in the am. We will be meeting first thing in the morning on day 1 to take a train to Minakami. Of course you can always just meet up with the crew in Minakami if you prefer. From there we check into our hotel and get ready to ski!
The train travel from Narita International to Minakami is as follows:
- Tokyo to TAKASAKI: SHINKANSEN MaxTANIGAWA (Bullet Train).
- TAKASAKI to Minakami: JR Joetsu Line (Regular Train)
Full train schedule can be found at: http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
- Day 1: Meet at the Wakkanai airport & transfer to the Rishiri Ferry.
- Days 2-7: Ski the various areas and aspects of the Rishiri volcano
- Day 8: Travel back to Wakkanai & fly out.
Activities and Add-Ons for this Course
BlackSheep Merino Wool Toque (Beanie)
A beautiful fleece lined merino wool toque. They come in black and grey though colours are subject to availability.